EducationMSc in Medical Science (Neuroscience), GPA 4.00, University of Toronto
HBSc in Neuroscience, GPA 3.91, University of Toronto
- Julie Payette NSERC Scholarship, which is awarded to the top 24 Master’s level applicants across all fields in Canada, and is based on outstanding academic excellence, research ability, leadership & communication skills.
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship (declined to accept NSERC)
- Margaret Addison Postgraduate Scholarship
- NSERC Undergraduate Summer Research Award
- NSERC-JULS Best Review Article Award
I'm a co-author on publications in Nature Neuroscience and NeuroImage.
I began PhD studies in Neuroscience at Princeton University, but later withdrew when I realized I was more interested in tutoring and editing than in doing science.
ExperienceI am a full-time academic editor and tutor. I have 9+ years of editing and tutoring experience.
Please visit www.pekarediting.com for information on my proofreading, academic editing, and writing help services.
Please visit www.pekartutoring.com for information on my educational consulting and private tutoring services.
I am able to meet with individuals in person and online. Meeting in person is not required for editing.
Previous Writing & Editing Experience:
Copy Chief, UofT Medical Journal
Assistant Managing Editor, IMS Magazine
Writer and Editor, Institute of Medical Science Magazine
Review Board Manager, UofT Journal of Undergraduate Life Sciences
News and Features Editor, The Journal of Young Investigators
Science Journalist, The Journal of Young Investigators
***EDITING & WRITING HELP***
I work with:
- high school students
- undergraduate and college students
- graduate students
- academic researchers
- working professionals
Recent clients include:
- researchers at St. Michael's Hospital, Ben Gurion University, and UofT
- graduate students in political science, medical science, neuroscience, molecular biology, engineering, and physics at UofT, Queen's U, Ryerson U, Osaka University, and McMaster U
- undergraduate/college students at UofT, Ryerson, York, Trinity College Dublin, George Brown College, Seneca College and Centennial
- high school students across the GTA
I edit and provide writing help:
- all types of essays
- all course-related assignments
- research papers
- manuscripts for peer-reviewed publications
- MSc/MA and PhD theses
- graduate and professional school applications
- scholarship and fellowship applications
While I predominantly edit documents for individuals in health sciences, biology (neuroscience, genetics, etc.), sociology, psychology, health policy, nursing, and social work, I work with individuals across all disciplines and have edited work in diverse fields including art history, architecture, business, engineering, and economics, among others.
My rate for editing and writing help services starts at $40/hour.
Please see www.pekartutoring.com for more details.
Previous Tutoring Experience:
Senior Volunteer, SciHigh, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute
Tutor, Saturday Program, University of Toronto
Volunteer, Science Rendezvous, SickKids
Workshop Presenter, ThinkFirst Brain Day, Brain Awareness Week
Volunteer Assistant Educator, Ontario Science Centre
On a high school level, I tutor:
- math (up to and including Grade 11)
- science (up to and including Grade 10)
- biology (Grade 11 & 12)
- English/writing (all levels)
On a university/college level, I tutor:
- biological sciences (neuroscience, genetics, cell and molecular biology, physiology)
- English and writing
I also tutor the following standardized tests: GRE, SAT, ACT, and SSAT
GRE scores: 94%ile in Quant (800) /95%ile in Verbal (670) /94%ile in Writing (5.5).
My tutoring rates start at $40/hour.
Hobbiesreading, long walks, exercise, science blogging
10th Grade, ACCUPLACER Reading Comprehension, ACCUPLACER Sentence Skills, ACCUPLACER WritePlacer, ACT, ADD, ADHD, Advanced Placement, AP, AP Biology, Biology, Biostatistics, Cell Biology, Chemistry, College Algebra, College Essays, Developmental Biology, ACCUPLACER ESL, ACCUPLACER Elementary Algebra, ACCUPLACER College-Level Math, 10th Grade math, 10th Grade Reading, 10th Grade Writing, 11th Grade, 11th Grade math, 11th Grade Reading, 11th Grade Writing, 12th Grade, 12th Grade math, 12th Grade Reading, 12th Grade Writing, 9th Grade, 9th Grade math, 9th Grade Reading, 9th Grade Writing, ACCUPLACER Arithmetic, Dyslexia, English, ESL/ELL, Neuroscience, Persuasive Writing, Pre-Calculus, SAT, SAT Critical Reading, SAT Math, SAT Mathematics, Science, SSAT, SSAT- Upper Level, Statistics, Study Skills, Study Skills And Organization, Summer Tutoring, Technical Writing, Test Prep, Neurobiology, Literary Analysis, Life Sciences, Essay Editing, Evolution, Evolutionary Biology, General Biology, General Chemistry, Genetics, Graduate Test Prep, Grammar and Mechanics, GRE, GRE Analytical Writing, GRE Quantitative, GRE Quantitative Reasoning, IB, IB BIology HL, IB BIology SL, ISEE- Upper Level, Writing
Client Reviews (28)
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.